Chocolate vs. Xylitol (gum)

posted: by: Wendy Edwards Tags: "Clinic Specials" "News"       


 Caution! Xylitol is Dangerous for your Dog!

Please be sure to store your Christmas candy and chocolate in a place your dog cannot access!  Xylitol is a natural sugar alcohol that is increasingly found in 'sugar free' or 'naturally sweetened' products. Xylitol is safe for you but can be deadly for your dog! It is much more toxic than dark chocolate for dogs. It can quickly drop your dog's blood sugar and can cause liver failure.

Xylitol can be found in:

Candies and chewing gum
Peanut and nut butters
Toothpastes and mouthwashes
Cookie, cakes, ice creams and more!
Cosmetics and hand creams


Please call us immediately if you suspect your pet has ingested Xylitol.  It’s important to treat promptly.